Re: NEED YOUR HELP!!

HIRSCH Bonnie C (Bonnie.C.HIRSCH@ci.eugene.or.us)
Tue, 20 Oct 1998 10:03:00 -0700

Our problem was not other videos, but big, heavy books. Those big books also
cause damage to other books, as well. But we have had less media damage
since we established separate media drop slots. (Yes, we do have padding at
the bottom of the media bins, and they are smaller bins than the book bins.)
Bonnie Hirsch
Eugene (Oregon) Public Library
bonnie.c.hirsch@ci.eugene.or.us
----------
From: Eileen Karsten
To: Multiple recipients of list
Subject: Re: NEED YOUR HELP!!
Date: Monday, October 19, 1998 1:37PM

It depends on whether your videotapes are in hard cases or paper sleeves.
Most commercial video stores put all their videos in hardcases. The hard
cases do a pretty good job of protecting the actual videocassette. Paper
sleeves give virtually no protection against the video being dropped or
having something dropped on it. Also, if your Hollywood is like my video
store, at the bottom of that video drop is a lot of padding. Most of the
places that I know that have media book drops, allow only media to be put
in them and the bottom of the drop is padded. They also empty them
frequently especially during the winter.

At 08:34 AM 10/19/98 -0700, you wrote:
>This is a really interesting question about the book drop. We
>have always strongly discouraged our patrons from putting AV
>materials in the book drop. This summer has seen drastic
>changes in the traffic flow and parking on campus and the
>moving of the book drops. More people are putting our things in
>the drops. Now, recently I was in a vehicle line at Hollywood
>video to drop off some of my rental videos and clearly a large
>number of videos were being dropped in on top of each other and
>Hollywood doesn't seem to mind. Maybe we have been too fussy
>all along?

Eileen Karsten
Head of Technical Services
North Park University