Re: NEED YOUR HELP!!

Eileen Karsten (ekarsten@gumby.npcts.edu)
Mon, 19 Oct 1998 15:25:17

It depends on whether your videotapes are in hard cases or paper sleeves.
Most commercial video stores put all their videos in hardcases. The hard
cases do a pretty good job of protecting the actual videocassette. Paper
sleeves give virtually no protection against the video being dropped or
having something dropped on it. Also, if your Hollywood is like my video
store, at the bottom of that video drop is a lot of padding. Most of the
places that I know that have media book drops, allow only media to be put
in them and the bottom of the drop is padded. They also empty them
frequently especially during the winter.

At 08:34 AM 10/19/98 -0700, you wrote:
>This is a really interesting question about the book drop. We
>have always strongly discouraged our patrons from putting AV
>materials in the book drop. This summer has seen drastic
>changes in the traffic flow and parking on campus and the
>moving of the book drops. More people are putting our things in
>the drops. Now, recently I was in a vehicle line at Hollywood
>video to drop off some of my rental videos and clearly a large
>number of videos were being dropped in on top of each other and
>Hollywood doesn't seem to mind. Maybe we have been too fussy
>all along?

Eileen Karsten
Head of Technical Services
North Park University