Subject: Re: DVD Packaging
From: videolib@library.berkeley.edu at BITNET/INTERNET
Date: 10/14/98 11:46 AM

Hmmmm... here're my two and a half centimes (sorry still back in Paris in
my mind):

While laser discs as a consumer commodity may not have taken off, they
remain perhaps the most effective format for film study and teaching in
academic environments...I think the statement that laser has disappeared is
inaccurate. Secondly, I think you might be misinformed about DVD format
video , which is watchable on a TV screen via a DVD player as well as on a
computer equipped with DVD drive. The potential uses of DVD in academic
libraries is much the same as laser: we've CAUTIOUSLY started acquiring
canonical cinema (Hitchcock, silents, etc.) just to compare this fomat with
laser and tape. One major issue, of course, is that there are no
classrooms on campus equipped with DVD players, at present. Another
problem is limited random access (a feature in which laser excells).

Gary Handman
UC Berkeley

UC Berkeley, CA 94720-6000