Re: censorship of Farocki's film

Stan Gilliam (stan@pals.guilford.edu)
Thu, 24 Sep 1998 13:33:59 -0700 (PDT)

At 12:37 PM 9/24/98 -0700, you wrote:
>I'm sorry, Stan, but it's a parent's job to guide his or her kid...not film
>distributor's (nor a library's, for that matter). God help us if the means
>of production start calling the shots about what is or is not socially
>acceptable or appropriate viewing or reading.

They don't call the shots. I guess my definition of censorship involves
the use or threat of law or force to put people in jail or confiscate their
property, or
injure them. In other words, "you cannot do that!" or else! The only bodies
that have this kind of power are usually governments. I guess school and
curiculum review boards also fall into this category,
since they do have virtually control over that is being force-fed to kids.
(Force again.)
But this lab is simply saying, "We will not cooperate with you."
I am just saying that "censorship" is a word that should not be used
thoughtlessly or irresponsibly.

>Gary Handman
>Director
>Media Resources Center
>Moffitt Library
>UC Berkeley, CA 94720-6000
>510-643-8566
>ghandman@library.berkeley.edu
>http://www.lib.berkeley.edu/MRC
>
>"You are looking into the mind of home video. It is innocent, it is aimless,
>it is determined, it is real" --Don DeLillo, Underworld

Stan Gilliam
Director of Media Services
Guilford College
5800 W. Friendly Avenue