Re: censorship of Farocki's film

Stan Gilliam (stan@pals.guilford.edu)
Thu, 24 Sep 1998 13:19:32 -0700 (PDT)

Devil's advocate questions: What would be wrong with all the labs
getting together to stop child pornography? Would you knowingly select what
YOU thought was child pornography for your
library collection?
The "devil" is in the details, although the general idea seems good.
People draw the line in
different places, but most of us draw lines.

At 12:22 PM 9/24/98 -0700, you wrote:
>Pardon me for saying so, but I think you've missed the point! Obviously they've
>violated no law. But it goes without saying that if every lab took the same
>position, it would effectively accomplish the same objective - censorship of
>a filmmaker's work! And I find their rationale for this action exceedingly
>strange - what if one of their employees is offended by certain words, such as
>breast or witch! Do they poll their entire staff before they decide which films
>to process? It sounds like a convenient (but idiotic) excuse!
> I'm not in the business of distributing films, but I salute Facets for their
>position and for making others aware of this insidious practice. I'm so tired
>of the morality mongers trying to repress anything and everything that they
>don't approve of! Off my soapbox. Next?
> Mary Gontarek
> Owatonna Public Library
> Owatonna, MN