RE: Video on union prevention

Stan Gilliam (stan@pals.guilford.edu)
Thu, 24 Sep 1998 05:57:53 -0700 (PDT)

Forming a union is a legal activity in the US. I'm wondering how many
other films we have in our collections that are explicitly made to help
prevent people from engaging in legally protected activities?
On the other hand, if public libraries have a mandate to serve all kinds of
audiences, perhaps there would be two items on the shelf, side by side, one
called "How to Organize a Union" and another called "How to Prevent a Union."

At 03:33 PM 9/23/98 -0700, you wrote:
>Larry, This is a listserv to help fellow librarians. It's very naive
>to think a union can solve all the employment problems of the
>world. Regards, Carol
>
>On Wed, 23 Sep 1998, Larry Adelman wrote:
>

>> Excuse the smug response, but if someone wants to learn how to keep the
>> union away, how about paying decent wages and benefits, providing good
>> working conditions (including opportunities for advancement), treating
>> employees with respect, and giving them a say over their work? Don't think
>> they need a video for that.
>>
>> Larry Adelman
>> California Newsreel
>> 149 Ninth Street/420