Re: Video Theft

Jean McCarron (jean@nvdpl.north-van.bc.ca)
Mon, 21 Sep 1998 12:56:16 -0700

I can't believe that this is happening to someone other than us!

We have been struggling with this problem for quite some time and no- it
is not a case of someone taping over one of our videos, it is certainly
someone actually dismantling cases and replacing videotape. Often it is a
straight swop of two of our own videos, so apart from the enormous amount
of time involved we can return the tapes to the collection. And we thought
there was only one of these wierdos in the world. Because of "privacy"
policies, we can only keep a record of the last patron using a video, so
by the time the next "innocent" patron has taken out the wrong video,
returned and reported the problem, the guilty party is in the clear.

Unless you are allowed to keep records of past borrowers of your videos, I
can't hink how you can solve this problem any more than we can.

Jean A. McCarron
Audiovisual Coordinator
North Vancouver District Public Library
jean.mccarron@nvdpl.north-van.bc.ca
TEL. DIR LINE: (604)990-5817
TEL. LIBRARY: (604)990-5800 FAX: (604)984-7600
NVDPL on the web:http://www.nvdpl.north-van.bc.ca