Re: BANNED VIDEOS ??

Nell (nchenaul@saturn.vcu.edu)
Thu, 17 Sep 1998 17:50:33 -0400

Marlon Riggs' Tongues Untied was dropped from a film series at Virginia
Museum of fine Arts in fall of 1991 due to community complaints. At the
same time, many PBS stations did not broadcast it on P.O.V.. The next
spring a new Museum director included it in their spring festival schedule
and held a forum on Art and Social Responsibility with Mr. Riggs and
numerous others on the panel.

Subsequently, At 01:24 PM 9/17/1998 -0700, you wrote:
>Hi Jeff:
>
>When I was the media librarian at Iowa, the local district attorney had
>threatened to arrest anyone who publicly exhibited the section I described
>below. The local video store pulled their copies, and we (Media Services)
>put our copy on permanent reserve. A student group showed the film during
>this period, but had to place a piece of cardboard over the lens during
>this specific sequence.
>
>As I said earlier, things might have changed since then, but the film was,
>for all practical purposes 'banned" up until 1995/96, when I left the
>University.
>
>Glad to hear this isn't the case any more!
>
>Becky
>(say high to the gang in cataloging for me!)
>
>At 12:08 PM 9/17/98 -0700, you wrote:
>>>As far as I know, Taxi Zum Klo, or at least one section of it, is still
>>>banned in Iowa City.
>>
>>Actually, the film was shown in a German language class at the University
>>of Iowa a few years back, and some students complained about the content.
>>Quite a huge issue was made of it statewide. However, it is not banned in
>>Iowa City, neither are any parts "blocked." It is shown annually at the
>>Bijou (student run film organization) and can be rented from any video
>>rental business.
>>
>>Jeff Ahrens, MLS
>>Cataloger

>Becky Albitz
>Head Librarian
>Shenango Campus
>The Pennsylvania State University
>r2a@psulias.psu.edu

Nell J. Chenault nchenaul@saturn.vcu.edu
Cabell Media Resource Services
University Library Services
Virginia Commonwealth University
Richmond, VA 23284-2033 (804) 828-1088 FAX: 828-7473