Re: BANNED VIDEOS ??

Becky Albitz (r2a@psulias.psu.edu)
Thu, 17 Sep 1998 16:16:11 -0400

Hi Jeff:

When I was the media librarian at Iowa, the local district attorney had
threatened to arrest anyone who publicly exhibited the section I described
below. The local video store pulled their copies, and we (Media Services)
put our copy on permanent reserve. A student group showed the film during
this period, but had to place a piece of cardboard over the lens during
this specific sequence.

As I said earlier, things might have changed since then, but the film was,
for all practical purposes 'banned" up until 1995/96, when I left the
University.

Glad to hear this isn't the case any more!

Becky
(say high to the gang in cataloging for me!)

At 12:08 PM 9/17/98 -0700, you wrote:
>>As far as I know, Taxi Zum Klo, or at least one section of it, is still
>>banned in Iowa City.
>
>Actually, the film was shown in a German language class at the University
>of Iowa a few years back, and some students complained about the content.
>Quite a huge issue was made of it statewide. However, it is not banned in
>Iowa City, neither are any parts "blocked." It is shown annually at the
>Bijou (student run film organization) and can be rented from any video
>rental business.
>
>Jeff Ahrens, MLS
>Cataloger

Becky Albitz