Re: Public Performance

Susan Weber (sweber@langara.bc.ca)
Thu, 10 Sep 1998 09:30:20 -0700 (PDT)

On Wed, 9 Sep 1998, Tom Furtwangler wrote:

> Could someone let me know the mechanics by which your rights are most
> commonly defined? IE: Are the performance rights defined/granted through a
> statement on your invoice/packing slip, through a separate contract or
> correspondance, or by another mechanism? Some exact phrasing (maybe sent
> off list) would be incredibly helpful.

In Canada, our educational institutions have been deemed public places,
and we therefore need to have public performance rights in our programs
used in a classroom.
Putting the rights directly on the package is the most helpful.
Being specific, such as "This program may be used in an educational
setting, in front of a group" avoids the legal definitions of
'public performance' which vary from country to country.
The producer/distributor may also wish to add: No admission may be
charged, or other rights statements that apply.

While it is useful to describe the rights in a catalogue - after all
the buyer needs to know - this is not enough.

Putting the rights info. on an invoice/packing slip is not satisfactory
for those of us who have large institutions, where the receiving of the
item and the processing is done by people who have no knowledge of such
matters and may not forward the info. to the cataloguer or media dept.

As Appalshop replied, including info. as to use in all 3 places:
catalogue, invoice, and container would be very helpful.

Susan
Susan Weber, Media Librarian e-mail: sweber@langara.bc.ca
Langara College
Advanced Education Media Acquisitions Centre (AEMAC)
100 West 49th Avenue Tel: 604-323-5533
Vancouver, B.C. Canada Fax: 604-323-5475