Re: Questions from a self-distributor

Gail B. Fedak (gfedak@a1.mtsu.edu)
Wed, 09 Sep 1998 10:25:36 -0700

olive wrote:

> I am an independent video producer planning to self-distribute a future
> documentary. I would greatly appreciate any feedback on the following
> questions. As a video librarian, do the videos you purchase need to:
>
> (1) be encased in hard cases or paper sleeves?
> (2) have ISBN numbers?
> (3) be closed captioned for the hearing impaired?
>
> Thank you so much for your time. I want to make sure I do this right :)
>
> Kelly Briley

Kelly,

We also put all of our tapes in our own cases, but do appreciate receiving
programs in plastic boxes. When we receive materials in
decorative/informative paper sleeves, we keep the sleeves, but cut them so
they open like a book and slip them into clear cases with full windows to
display in our facility's showcase which features new acquisitions, topical
materials, etc. Currently we do not use ISBN numbers, but I would much
rather have more information than I need than not enough. Closed
captioning would be appreciated.

For us, a more important issue than any of the above is clearance to use
the program in educational public performance settings and closed circuit
systems. We make our materials available (when possible) to students to
view individually in carrels and provide a cable system to our facility and
classrooms on campus to facilitate faculty and student use of our
collection. I hesitate to buy anything that is for home use only.

Thanks for asking,
Gail B. Fedak
Instructional Media Resources
Middle Tennessee State University