Re: Electronic reserves & audio & video clips

Fri, 4 Sep 1998 08:30:05 -0700

Rick...ol' pal:

Rick...when push comes to shove, the only expressly stated fair use of
video (or moving image stuff in general) is face-to-face classroom
teaching. I guess one could apply the broader tests of FU:

--purpose and character of the use--including whether use is of a
commercial nature or is for non-profit educational purposes;

--nature of the copyrighted work

--Amount and substantiality of the portion used in relation to the
copyrighted work as a whole.

--the effect of the use upon the potential market for or value of the
copyrighted work

...but the fact remains that trasfer of analog to digital treads on the
exclusive rights of the copyright holder to make derivative works. ...that
and, as I contended in my last mail, it's unlikely that an institution that
goes to the trouble of digitizing clips is gonna adhere to the restricted
retention requirements of the copyright law... Also, although we all seem
to be pinning our hopes to the ol' "restricted IP" gambit, I wonder how
this rationale would hold up in court.

gary