Re: Video search: Goldwater commercial

Henry K Mattoon (hkm@crl.com)
Tue, 25 Aug 1998 13:09:43 -0700 (PDT)

Marilyn,

You might want to contact the POLITICAL COMMUNICATION CENTER at The
University of Oklahoma (Norman). They have material relating both to
Goldwater and Reagan, including commercials, etc. from every election
year, 1952-present. Their records are entered into OCLC. Also, PCC has a
website at <http://www.uoknor.edu/pccenter>. Note: this is a new url
through the end of this year.

I checked both their published catalog (A CATALOG AND GUIDE TO THE
ARCHIVAL COLLECTIONS, by Lynda Lee Kaid, et al. Norman : Univ. of
Oklahoma) and their website, but no specific mention of this commercial.

I believe most of their cataloging records are at the collection-level
rather than the item-level.

[Eg, their collection-level record for the Goldwater materials reads:
"10 fil reels (16 mm.). 4 videocassettes (3/4 in). 9 sound tape reels
(3-3/4 ips). Collection contains 94 television and 19 radio commercials
used during Goldwater's campaigns for the 1964 presidential election and
the 1980 U.S. senatorial election in Arizona...."

Same sort of collection-level info on the Reagan materials.

They do, however, maintain an in-house database of itel-level cataloging
records, where practicable.

Contact info:
Lynda Lee Kaid
Director of Communication
University of Oklahoma
610 Elm Avenue
Norman, OK 73019-0335
405/325.3114 voice
405/325.1566

<lkaid@ou.edu>

A couple of other sources I can suggest, if they can't help you:

Ron Simon
Television Archivist
The Museum of Television and Radio (New York office best to contact)
25 West 52nd Street
New York, NY 10019
212/621.6680

Bruce Dumont
Director,
The Museum of Broadcast Communications
Chicago Cultural Center
Michigan Avenue at Washington Street
Chicago, IL 60602-3407
312/629.6000

[He'll probably refer you to their cataloging staff/video library, and it
might be better to start there anyway. Don't know name of the person who
runs the video library.]

Rod Soubers
Supervisory Archivist
Ronald Reagan Library
40 Presidential Drive
Simi Valley, CA 93065
805/522.8444
<library@reagan.nara.gov>

Just in case, I also checked the National Archives website
<http://www.nara.gov/nara/nail.html> and the Vanderbilt Television News
Archive <http://tvnews.vanderbilt.edu> [checked the latter anyway,
even though Vanderbilt didn't begin its recording until 1968].....

And, a generalized online footage resource <http://www.footage.net>
didn't reveal any likely locations among its participants.

Another good source, of course, would be the broadcasting network or
production facility, studio, etc, if you can determine that. If so, I
might be able to help you further.

But, if you contact the above sources, they may be able to steer you in
the right direction.

Best,

Henry

Henry K. Mattoon