Re: Audio/Video Repair Tools

Stan Gilliam (stan@pals.guilford.edu)
Wed, 19 Aug 1998 10:37:24 -0700 (PDT)

Be sure to get magnetic screwdrivers if available.
Be sure to get very small phillips head screwdrivers.

We use an engraver. We engrave things right on the front sothat the
engraving can
be easily seen, though not bold enough to be "ugly." This kind of marking
would make the stolen item very difficult to
fence, although someone stealing an item for personal use might go ahead and
take it.

At 07:59 AM 8/19/98 -0700, you wrote:
>Dear VIDEOLIBers:
>
>We are finally looking to put some professional staff into the Media Room of
>the San Antonio Public Library. One of the things we are looking into is
>the purchase of repair equipment for audio/videocassettes and for compact
>discs. (Most of our problems for the latter are just accumulated dust,
>fingerprints, dirt, etc.) We have compiled the following list. I am
>wondering if any of you have any further suggestions that might me useful to
>us:
>
>1 VCR Tape Mender Kit
> (includes scissors, razor blade, screwdriver, splicing tape)
>9-piece tool kit (more screwdrivers and pliers)
>videotape replacement shells
>videotape rewinder/cleaner
>
>1 Audiotape Mender Kit/Workstation
> (includes razor blades and splicing tape)
>audiotape replacement shells
>
>CD cleaning system
> (with extra pads and cleaning fluid)
>
>Also, does anyone have any thoughts about the purchase of either an engraver
>and/or a branding iron for audio/videotapes and CDs? Are these items very
>practical (read: easy to use) and are they worth the investment (do they
>really deter theft)?
>
>Thanks a lot for your valuable input. You may respond to the list or to me
>personally.
>
>Eric Fry
>Librarian I-Reference and Reader's Advisory Dept.
>San Antonio Public Library
>efry@ci.sat.tx.us

Stan Gilliam
Director of Media Services