Re: Waters Quotation

Judy Jones (jonesjm@libraryserver.lib.csus.edu)
Tue, 4 Aug 1998 15:53:48 PST8PDT

I know this is probably a silly question, but is "Naked Lunch" a
porn movie? My quandry about under-age kids is "R" rated movies
not porn. There are clear penal codes in California regarding
sexually explicit materials such as porn (and, by my reckoning,
human sexuality videos for academic courses). How do any of you
handle movis with "R" ratings?

Date: Tue, 4 Aug 1998
12:45:33 -0700 Reply-to: videolib@library.berkeley.edu From:
Pierre Gregoire <pgregoire@dupage.k12.il.us> To:
Multiple recipients of list <videolib@library.berkeley.edu> Subject:
Re: Waters Quotation

A continually confounding issue. The paradox of supporting freedom of
information in our libraries re: textual sources vs. age appropriate videos?
IMHO the average eight year old would ask for "Naked Lunch" (or more likely
Stephen King) to carry around and impress his/her friends, not to actually
read. Does the video information require less conscious will by the child to
acquire (once it is requested)? And therefore is it less acceptable to provide
the video to the eight year old because she/he is more likely to view it than
read an equivalently problematic text?

Pierre Gregoire, MLIS
Director,
Audio Visual Institute of DuPage
Regional Media Library for the Students & Teachers
of DuPage County, IL
http://www.dupage.k12.il.us/avid