Re: Beatles documentary

Mon, 27 Jul 1998 23:50:15 -0500 (EST)

Joan: Archival film footage used in a documentary is licensed for a
particular purpose, such as broadcast, educational video, and/or home
video. When she says "cleared," she means the kind of license agreement
the producer had with the copyright holder. It sounds like they did not
clear the rights for videocassette sales, but "theatric use" only. You
can't buy lots of television programs broadcast in the U.S. for the same
reason. No one has cleared videocassette rights.

Kristine Brancolini
Indiana University Libraries