Re: public performance rights

Stan Diamond (
Wed, 22 Jul 1998 11:06:24 -0700

In your message you group public performance and campus cable playback
together. In my opinion they are unrelated. If you are playing back over
the campus cable for direct instruction, you "may" be covered by fair use
or face to face teaching or distance ed provisions. If you are playing back
for entertainment or enrichment, you need cablecasting rights. Public
performance rights would only apply when showing a tape to a group in a
theater etc. when not for instructional use.

At 05:34 AM 7/22/98 -0700, you wrote:
>We don't include that information because it is subject to varying
>contracts, licences and changes that caonfuses our patrons. We
>will do some research into whether we have pubic performance rights for a
>videobut if faculty want to show something on campus cable they must secure
>permission from the copyright owner; that is if we can't assure them that we
>have secured the rights with purchase, as with many PBS tapes.
> Francis Poole
> Associate Librarian
> Coordinator Media Services
> University of Delaware Library
Stan Diamond Mass Networks Education Partnership
Project Manager
91 Harvey Street
Cambridge, MA 02140 617-491-9944 (fax)617-491-8485