Re: "Student-proofing" equipment

Judy Jones (jonesjm@libraryserver.lib.csus.edu)
Wed, 27 May 1998 12:41:42 PST8PDT

All of our viewing carrels are in sets of 4 to make a cubicle sort
of arrangement. Holes are drilled in the back of each carrel. All
cables (4 sets of 2) run down the back of the carrel and the
electrical plugs are built into the floor in grids. We have no
problem at all with the connecting cables. We do have problems with
students messing with the headsets and headset adaptors. Why, I
don't know - they aren't worth anything - headsets are monaural and
cheap, cheap. We have 80 carrels and 6 small group viewing rooms.
They are outfitted with various equipment.

Date: Wed, 27 May 1998 07:11:49 -0700
From: "Agee, Jane" <agee@mail.lib.duke.edu>
To: Multiple recipients of list <videolib@library.berkeley.edu>
Subject: "Student-proofing" equipment

Good morning,
We are considering how we might make our public viewing area for video more
"student-proof" to decrease the amount of tampering with cables and thus
rendering the units non-functional. Currently all monitors and video playback
units are in carrels in a viewing room adjacent to the main service desk. I'd
like to hear from anyone who has found a way to make it more difficult for
students to "play" with the cables.
Also those of you who assign monitors to your users (monitors in the viewing
area with the playback units behind a desk), please share with us your
satisfaction/dissatisfaction with this arrangement.
Thank you in advance.
Jane Agee,
Duke University
agee@mail.lib.duke.edu