Re: DVD

Jae Song (jae@frif.com)
Wed, 13 May 1998 10:58:42 -0400

At 05:46 AM 5/13/98 -0700, you wrote:
>Oksana wrote:
>
>"There appears to be some confusion with frames. Film frames do not
>equal video frames. In a CAV laserdisc every single film frame has a
>specific ascending number associated with it so that were one to count
>the number of frames on the film (that was used for the video transfer
>to laserdisc), it would correspond exactly with the number of frames on
>the analog encoded laserdisc."

all video plays 30fps - actually they are not frames but fields (2 fields =
1 frame) even LD's. when film is transfered to video (roughly) every other
frame is doubled. however you can watch a film at 24fps on a
video(computer) monitor(not really but kinda).

when editors cut film on video there is a method of corresponding the
individual film frames(key codes) with the video frames(time codes).
especially on the avid film composer - before the telecine the operator
would make a hole in the first key frame that will be doubled and tell the
avid editor so he would know to take those frames out in the computer.

what these professors should worry about is the mood. a video monitor would
greatly effect the feel and mood. ex: wide shots are not as impressive.

michael bay have admitted that after cutting on the avid and then seeing his
film projected it just didn't work, he made too many fast cuts and had too
many jarring shots which was fine when he was viewing in a small monitor.

ok michael bay is a bad example ....

in any case it really doesn't matter that's what i'm trying to say - at
least with frame by frame accuracy whether you use LD, DVD, or even VHS.

like Chris Lewis says
>Chris Lewis writes:
>I'm zo confuzed. I'm probably missing something in this discussion
>regarding frame-by-frame analysis but here goes anyway... I understand
>the value of freezeframes and frame-by-frame analysis in the course of
>film study but LDs are playing at 30fps the same as DVDs, correct? It
>sounds like you are suggesting that an LD is able to deliver video at
>the same fps rate (24) as film. I always thought the frame-count on a
>laserdisc was based on the number of actual video frames at 30fps.
>

>Besides I challenge anyone to prove to me that any director of
>live-action film actually choreographed his/her film down to the
>individual frame (though some, perhaps Stan Brakhage, may claim to after
>the fact). Of course editors cut to the frame but what they are really
>cutting on is a moment of an image which is preserved in each of the
>formats.

Jae Song
Sales Coordinator

e mail: jae@frif.com