Re: CD copyright question (fwd)

Jim Scholtz (
Mon, 11 May 1998 19:46:51 -0600 (MDT)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Mon, 11 May 1998 19:43:41 -0600 (MDT)
From: Jim Scholtz <>
To: Helen Dagley <>
Subject: Re: CD copyright question

Hi Helen, More or less, your children's consultant is correct. You can
get a public performance license through ASCAP or BMI (depending upon
which music/composers/performers you choose (this applies to live
performed music, one concert or many or recorded music - look on the
record label to determine affiliation). When vinyl was king, there were
all sorts of PP sound effects, generic music, etc, but there doesn-t seem
to be as much available on CD-ROM or tape. I'm going to forward my answer
as well as your original request to the video/AV listserv - maybe someone
will have a better answer. Hope this helps. Jim Scholtz. Listserv
people, please forward your answer directly to Helen Dagley. Thanks a

On Mon, 11 May 1998, Helen Dagley wrote:

> Hi Jim!
> I have another copyright question for you. Our Children's consultant is wondering if you know of any companies that sell CDs of children's music with performance rights included (just like videos do or do not include public perf. rights) so that they can be played in a public place? I wasn't aware that recorded music cannot be played in a public place, but that's what he says. Any insights?
> Thanks,
> Helen