Re: hard to find videos

Henry K Mattoon (hkm@crl.com)
Sun, 10 May 1998 17:45:50 -0700 (PDT)

Gary,

If you email me directly, I _may_ be able to help. There was a major
retro of SF films, many in new prints recently here in Los Angeles put on
by the American Cinematheque in cooperation with studios, many new
incredible prints struck for the exhibition.

If you're looking for _only_ video copies, that's a diff story, since
most copies I've seen take the usual cropping/scan&pan sourtucts.

And, IMHO, the only way to _truly_ appreciate SF films, he being one
of the relastively few 50's/early 60's masters of
composition for widescreen/'scope, is to project the 35 mm prints,
failing that, 16mm ws/'scope projection.

SF's estate, as he regrettably passed away very recently is in a bit of flux
(totally incredible stuff stored in his garage at home, if you've seen
the Tim Robbins film or the pix several months ago in VANITY FAIR), but
hopefully I can direct you to good sources, given what may be your
understadable video showing limitations.

But, again, as I'm sure you're aware, impress on your researcher that the
_best_ way to appreciate SF is _on_film_, _35_mm_, and in 'scope or
widescreen format, conditions permitting.

Let me know if I can help further.

Best,

Henry

Henry K. Mattoon