Re: video collection classification systems

Tue, 21 Apr 1998 14:22:39 -0500 (EST)

Hi Rhonda: Indiana University has been classifying its video and audio
collections using LC 1983. I don't think there is any rationale for using
an accession number system from a user perspective. I understand that it
allows the library to shelve more compactly. It would allow us to shelve
our books more compactly too, but we still classify them. I have used the
classifications for numerous collection studies and I wouldn't give up
classification without a fight. The ACRL "Guidelines for Media Resources
Collections" (soon to be published in the May issue of _C&RL News_ and at
the following URL: http://www.indiana.edu/~libreser/mrc-guide.html)
strongly recommend that the classification system used for the print
collections be used for the media resources collections.

Kristine Brancolini
Indiana University Libraries