Re: Digital Forever? [From: Edupage, 16 April 1998]

Stan Gilliam (stan@pals.guilford.edu)
Fri, 17 Apr 1998 10:41:11 -0700

I thought cd's were going to be permanent.
We have known for years that magnetically stored media (tapes, floppies)can
deteriorate,
but how does the metal- encased- in- airtight- plastic in a cd or laserdisc
lose information?

At 10:16 AM 4/17/98 -0700, you wrote:
>> DIGITAL ISN'T FOREVER
>>... computer experts are finding out that under less-than-optimal conditions,
>> digital tapes and disks, including CD-ROMs, can deteriorate in as little as
>> five to 10 years.
>
>Philip,
>
>Yep. I just finished reviewing Terry Sanders new video for our next
>issue, "Into the Future: On the Preservation of Knowledge in the
>Electronic Age" ($59.50; tel: 310-459-2116). It's the sequel to "Slow
>Fires." Interviewees from Voyager Co., NASA and elsewhere make a very
>good case that "digital isn't forever" and the formats are changing
>faster than we're able to keep up with leading to planned
>obsolescence on steroids (so to speak). NASA has original Voyager
>material stored on *7*-track tape, which is a) corrupted and b) now,
>a dead format. A pretty compelling wake-up call.
>

>Randy Pitman
>Editor
>Video Librarian
>3672 NE Liverpool Dr.