Video: How to Create a Junk Food

deg farrelly (
Sun, 22 Mar 1998 20:46:18 -0700

Gary Huggins wrote:

>I wonder if anyone has a lead on a documentary I saw many years ago on
>the creation of a new snack food - it followed a company as they
>up the product, test marketed it, invented a name, etc., detailing all
>the creativity and suffering expended on a crunchy, hollow loglet
>plugged with ultra-processed cheese...

This was a Nova program from 1988: How to Create a Junk Food.

Since Nova programs disappear quickly, there is a good chance it is no
longer available for purchase. But with the title, you might be able to
find a rental copy.

The catalog record from our collection follows.

deg farrelly, Media Librarian / Liaison to Women's Studies
Arizona State University West
4701 West Thunderbird Road, P.O. Box 37100
Phoenix, Arizona 85069-7100
Phone: 602.543.8522 | Fax: 602.543.8550 | E-Mail:

TITLE How to create a junk food [videorecording] / a London
Production ; producers, Edward Poulter, Mike Cockburn ;
and directed by Mike Tomlinson.
PUBLISHER Northbrook, Ill. : Coronet Film & Video, c1988.
DESCRIPT 1 videocassette (58 min.) : sd., col. ; 1/2 in. + 1
guide ([4] leaves ; 28 cm.)
SUBJECT Snack food industry.
Junk food -- Marketing.
New products.
OTHER AUTHOR Poulter, Edward.
Cockburn, Mike.
Tomlinson, Mike.
London Scientific (Firm)
Coronet/MTI Film and Video.
ADDED TITLE Nova (Television program)
NOTE VHS format.
Originally broadcast as an installment of the television
Photography, Tom Ingle, Peter Rees, Richard Craske; editor,
Lysagh; music, David Vorhaus.
Don Wescott.
SUMMARY A behind-the-scenes exploration of two new snack foods in
making. Focuses on process of determining what the market
and how technology enables manufacturers to create the
of tastes, textures, and and other characteristics that
think will sell.

1 > WEST RESERVE HD 9219 .A2 H69x 1988 SHELF
2 > WEST MEDIA HD 9219 .A2 H69x 1988 SHELF