Re: Letterbox vs reformatted

Judy Jones (JONESJM@libraryserver.lib.csus.edu)
Fri, 20 Mar 1998 13:49:24 PST8PDT

Please help me here. Don't most people own normal TV sets? As an
individual, nothing is more irritating to me than to rent a movie and
get it home and find out it is "letterbox." I want my whole screen
filled up with picture. What am I supposedly missing out on?

Oh, we don't purposely order any titles in Letterbox here at CSUS.

Date: Fri, 20 Mar 1998 13:40:45 -0800
From: Myles Jaeschke <mjaesch@ns1.tccl.lib.ok.us>
To: Multiple recipients of list <videolib@library.berkeley.edu>
Subject: Re: Letterbox vs reformatted

Wow,
I just joined this list and already interesting topic! When a video is
available both ways, I don't even consider "pan and scan". Our system
is medium-large--23 branches and 1 central library. When I order
videos, some of the other branches attach to my order so, they too get
what I order. (Widescreen) If a title is "letterboxed" our catalogers
specify in the record if the title is "letterboxed". If it is not
letterboxed then no notation is made.

In short, educate the public, buy "Widescreen"!

Hope this helps,
Myles Jaeschke
Film Librarian
Tulsa City-County Library