Re: Nam June Paik

Henry K Mattoon (hkm@crl.com)
Tue, 10 Mar 1998 12:37:44 -0800 (PST)

Cathleen,

One source you should contact Electronic Arts Intermix in New York
(212/337.0680), which has at least the following titles available for
distribution:

GLOBAL GROOVE (WNET : 1973)

A TRIBUTE TO JOHN CAGE (WNET : 1973, re-edited vers, 1976)

SUITE 212 (WNET : 1975, re-edited vers, 1977)

NAM JUNE PAIK : EDITED FOR TELEVISION (WNET : 1975)

DOCUMENTA 6 SATELLITE TELECAST (1976)

GUADECANAL REQUIEM (WNET : 1977, re-edited vers, 1979)

MERCE BY MERCE BY PAIK. PART ONE : BLUE STUDIO (FIVE SEGMENTS), PART TWO
: MERCE AND MARCEL (1975-76 & 1978 respectively ; WNET)

MEDIA SHUTTLE : MOSCOW/NEW YORK (WNET : 1978)

YOU CAN'T LICK STAMPS IN CHINA (WNET : 1978)

LAKE PLACID '80 (National File Arts Committee of the 1980 Olympic Winter
Games : 1980)

MY MIX '81 (1981)

ALLAN 'N ALLEN'S COMPLAINT (1982)

VUSAC -- NY (1984)

BUTTERFLY (1986)

TWO CHANNEL MUSIC TAPE : SPRING/FALL (1986)

LIVING WITH THE LIVING THEATRE (WGBH : 1989)

MAJORCA-FANTASIA (IMATCO/ATANOR for Television Espanola... : 1989).

Electronic Arts Intermix is an authorized distributor of Nam June Paik's
works (as well as, I believe, holder of some preservation/1st generation
elements) and I would highly recommend you contact them directly for
acquisition information. Also, if you don't have a copy of their catalog,
edited by director Lori Zippay, you might want to acquire a copy, as the
credits / performers information for their holdings, as well as the
synopses, written by Lori herself are first-rate.

There are additional outlets for NJP's videos and installations, but I
would suggest EAI as an excellent source. I think the Long Beach Museum
of Art - Video Annex, may have some holdings, in addition to videos they
have purchased from EAI. I'll check and let you know.

If you need more information, please contact me directly, off-list. Also,
if you would like full credits and synopses info for these NJP works, let
me know and I can email them to you.

Best,

Henry

Henry K. Mattoon