Re: 3/4"-Umatic and 16mm Film Replacements

Judy Jones (JONESJM@libraryserver.lib.csus.edu)
Wed, 11 Feb 1998 09:52:48 PST8PDT

Jessica, we have a very conservative policy with regard to
duplicating videos and films. We NEVER make copies because we don't
like the format we have or for backup or for "archives" or because we
need a 2nd copy of popular titles. We always try to purchase if
possible. What I am discussing here are the dying or dead titles for
which I will, ultimately, be unable to find any distributor at any
price. Thanks for input. Judy.

Date: Wed, 11 Feb 1998 06:32:38 -0800
From: kinoint@infohouse.com (Kino International Corporation)
To: Multiple recipients of list <videolib@library.berkeley.edu>
Subject: Re: 3/4"-Umatic and 16mm Film Replacements

Actually Stan I spoke to another librarian last night who confirmed that
the section you sited was put in specifally for audio recording and has
never been allowed to be used for other formats. In any case it is a VERY
SLIPPERY SLOPE. What is detiorating ? What is a fair price. I have heard
many librarians argue that either they just do not like the format they
have ( not that they actually can not use it ie they want tape when they
have 16mm) or they think the price is too much. I dare any of you to take
an old detiorating Disney short and transfer it because you can not get it
on tape. I still do not see any LEGAL arguement for tranfering any
copywrited material without the owners permission, though again I am not
unsympathetic to the problem.

Jessica

Kino International Corporation
333 W. 39th St. Suite 503