Re: 3/4"-Umatic and 16mm Film Replacements

Judy Jones (JONESJM@libraryserver.lib.csus.edu)
Tue, 10 Feb 1998 11:32:34 PST8PDT

I believe you are correct about the 3/4" tapes. My techs tell me
they simply cannot keep fixing my machines which are fouling up daily
due to "flaking" tapes. This little endeavor is going to cost
plenty.

Date: Tue, 10 Feb 1998 11:24:17 -0800
From: Philip Fryer <PDF@mailgate.loyola.edu>
To: Multiple recipients of list <videolib@library.berkeley.edu>
Subject: Re: 3/4"-Umatic and 16mm Film Replacements

Hi, Judy. Are all the U-Matics in the world deciding to make like
lemmings to the sea this year? We are presently trying to replace
our old, yet valuable, "Baby Jane Doe" from CBS Archives. It is
our 3rd dead U-Matic tape in the past 2 months.

As odious as it is, I wonder if this case-by-case is not the best
approach, coupled with Stan's suggestion to steer faculty away from
out-dated materials. For a legal opinion you are really going
to need a copyright lawyer.