Re: Info on Audio-Visual Space Planning?

Oksana Dykyj (oksana@vax2.concordia.ca)
Thu, 29 Jan 1998 10:21:20 +0000 (HELP)

Stan Diamond wrote:
>I would advise not to plan too far into the future, certainly no more than
>3-4 years. With the growth in availability of DVD material and the
>tremendous advances in networking, compression, and transmission of video
>on networks, coupled with the dramatic drop in the cost of storage (ie. HD
>prices), we will be looking at an entirely new paradigm for video storage
>and use in the fairly close future.

I agree with you that converging technologies will bring about change.
Storage is one thing, access space is another. To provide viewing facilities
for media, whether part of the library's collection or accessed through a
network, we might, for starters, have to add a number of new
format-dedicated stations to what we already have. It's safer to ask for
more space and give some of it up than to ask for too little and have to
live with it. We should also remember that this technological convergence
will begin to blur the lines between the increasingly less distinct
delineation of print/non-print, so architects should be planning to locate
AV areas beside other electronic-based areas as opposed to the floor(or
worse yet, the basement) housing rare books, maps and special collections.

Oksana
Oksana Dykyj Tel: 514-848-3443
Head, Visual Media Resources Fax: 514-848-3441
Audio-Visual Department H-342 Email:oksana@vax2.concordia.ca
Concordia University
1455 de Maisonneuve West
Montreal, QC, H3G 1M8