Re: circulation policies for academic libraries

Judy Jones (JONESJM@libraryserver.lib.csus.edu)
Tue, 20 Jan 1998 08:58:06 PST8PDT

I can't remember if i responded to this request before or not so
forgive duplication. We circulate educational/curriculum support
videos to faculty only. We circulate "feature films" to students,
staff, and faculty. We have 25 video carrels for students to watch
educational videos in our area. We also have 6 small group rooms.
There are two main reasons for not circulating educational videos to
students (1) cost and (2) they need to be available to faculty for
curriculum backup. Even faculty (normally) can only have the videos
for 1 day. The average student would be most unprepared to replace,
for example, "Color of Fear," for $450. The videos students most
often request are generally the priciest ones. We do allow students
to review videos in our area and then get a note or have their
instructor call if they need the video for a class presentation. We
have a video booking module. Heavily used titles such as "Color of
Fear" are scheduled far in advance into the semester by many
instructors. A lost or damaged title like this one would handicap
many other instructors. We only have one copy of almost every title
we own and not the budget to replace at will.

Feature films are another story. The collection development dollars
for this collection come from a different source and one of the
conditions is wide availabilty.