Re: circulation policies for academic libraries

Stan Gilliam (
Tue, 20 Jan 1998 06:16:03 -0800

We circulate videos to students for 48 hours,
and to faculty for 7 days. Faculty often put them on reserve at the main
circulation desk.
There is a fine of $1.00 per hour for overdues, but we put an $8.00 cap on
Our video collection is built by faculty orders/recommendations, and we refer to
it as a "teaching collection." That is the reason for the 48-hour check out
for students. IT is assumed that the videos will be morelikely to be
available for
faculty use when they need them for a class. However, since our students
pay such
a hefty tuition here, we decided several years ago that the tapes should be
to them as well.
The videos are kept in closed stacks, but are listed in our on-line
so we encourage students to learn to use the computer to look them up.
Hpe this helps.

Stan Gilliam
Director of Media Services
Guilford College