Re: circulation policies for academic libraries

Stan Gilliam (stan@pals.guilford.edu)
Tue, 20 Jan 1998 06:16:03 -0800

We circulate videos to students for 48 hours,
and to faculty for 7 days. Faculty often put them on reserve at the main
circulation desk.
There is a fine of $1.00 per hour for overdues, but we put an $8.00 cap on
it.
Our video collection is built by faculty orders/recommendations, and we refer to
it as a "teaching collection." That is the reason for the 48-hour check out
time
for students. IT is assumed that the videos will be morelikely to be
available for
faculty use when they need them for a class. However, since our students
pay such
a hefty tuition here, we decided several years ago that the tapes should be
available
to them as well.
The videos are kept in closed stacks, but are listed in our on-line
catalog,
so we encourage students to learn to use the computer to look them up.
Hpe this helps.

Stan Gilliam
Director of Media Services
Guilford College