Re: Autobiographical Films -- AIDS

Henry K Mattoon (hkm@crl.com)
Wed, 17 Dec 1997 19:48:38 -0800 (PST)

Kristine,
Please forgive the hase, typos, etc. of my reply here to your post. I'm
leaving for a business trip and vacation in about 30 minutes and wanted
to dask off a hasty, albeit incomplete reply.

First, it may sound odd, but I'm not sure if your patron wants
non-fictional or fictional autobiographical works. Here's what I can come
up pretty quickly. If I can help you further, please do not hesitate to
contact me after 1/6/98.

Also, I've probably strayed a bit from strictly "autobiographical works,"
ie, works by the artist him/herself

1. You might want to have your patron contact the Artists with Aids
project ("the estate project). Information is on the web at:

www.artistswithaids.org/welcome.html
/estate.html

2. Here are some titles i can think of, offhand. Some already mentioned.
Sorry, but I don't have time for full citations or sources.

Works of Derek Jarman (as younoted), esp his book AT YOUR OWN
RISK: A SAINT'S TALE

Marlon Riggs - Black is...Black Ain't (avail fr California Newsreel)
(patients in hospital)

David Wajnarowicz - Postcards from America

Absolutely Positive (1991)

The Aids Show. Artists Involved with Death and Survival (1986)

Works involving Keith Haring

Works involving Bill Jones (the dancer)

Since Stonewall (I think --haven't seen it)

3. Also, contactthe AIDS History Group of the American Association for
the History of Medicine, which is working on various projects to document
the history, cultural response, etc to the AIDS crisis.
Contact: Dr. Victoria A. Harden
National INstitutes of Health
31 Center Dr
MSC 2092
Bethesda, MD 20892-2092
301/402.1434 (fax)
vharden@helix.nih.gov

or Dr. Caroline Hannaway at the same address (email: channa@helix.nih.gov).

4. _HIGHLY_ recommended is the book IMAGES IN THE DARK (sorry, don't have
cite handy). A few cites, w/page #'s

Esp. recommended is the publication: Billy Howard, Epigraphs for the Living
(164)

Works recommended:

FEAR OF DISCLOSURE (p. 182)
BLUE (Jarman, as already noted)
POSITIVE (133)
SILENCE=DEATH (133)
NO REGRETS [NON JE NE REGRETTE RIEN] (114)
LIVING PROOG: HIV AND THE PURSUIT OF HAPPINESS (381)
ABSOLUTELY POSITIVE (394)
I'M STILL ALIVE
THE BROADCAST TAPES OF DR. PETER
SILVERLAKE LIFE (451)
ONE FOOT ON THE BANANA PEEL, THE OTHER FOOT IN THE GRAVE (438)

Those are just a few items I'd recommend from this very good resource
guide.

Sorry I didn't have time before leaving for a more complete and polished
reply.

If you or your patron need more assistance, please feel free to call me
or contact me after Jan 6, 1998.

Henry

Henry K. Mattoon
National Moving Image Database