Re: multi part video sets

Jim Scholtz (jscholtz@sdln.net)
Wed, 10 Dec 1997 09:03:35 -0700 (MST)

Hi Ellen, At the Yankton Community Library we distinguish between
series volumes and multiple video parts (Parts I, II, etc.) based on
program packaging, labeling and content and dthat drives whether we
circulate then as a "set - meaning rubber-banded together under one
barcode" or separately. This distinction also drives how we catalog the
items - under the series title with 740 fields for volume titles and 505
contents titles - or each series title with its own individual
bibliographic record and a 440/490 field hooking each back to the series.
We shelve/organize our nonfiction videos by DDC - and features using a
FIC xxx (cutter #) so the arrangement remains consistent with our book
collection.
A series title like PBS' The Civil War has episodes, and even though the
content is not quite the same each episode, we gave it a generic
"Civil War" DDC # grouping them together as a shelving/marketing ploy.
Each title circulates separately but has 1 bibliographic record, but the
episodes are clearly marked on the case and on the holdings/item record in
our database - each episode has its own barcode. Multiple part videos
like the 5-volume set "The Thorn Birds" or "The Jewel in the Crown" we
circulate as a set under 1 barcode (placed on the first volume) because
the set promotes contiguous viewing and it would be difficult for the
patron to put holds on each volume/get volumes in order to promote
contiguous watching. Sometimes we do have a problem with titles like CPB
Annenberg's "The Mechanical Universe" where it is difficult to give the
entire series a generic DDC # and keep them shelved together, but we try.
Whenever, we circulate the entire set, whether that would be 1-2 tapes or
5-7 as 1 circulation, the patron is responsible for returning the entire
set. If they don't (or one is damaged), they may be responsible for
replacement of that entire set (depending upon if we can get a replacement
volume/part or if we have to buy the entire set again). We do have
problems with nonreturns of set parts, but we continue to call -send
notes, etc and really have not had a problem in getting stuff back.
Yankton Community Library serves a small population (19,000) so it's
pretty easy to call, but this method has also worked in a library system
in Illinois (serving 900,000 people) and in Elkhart, IN and
Decatur, IL (80,000 and 100,000) just as well. Recently, we have tried to
band video sets (cases) together with double-sided tape, but that only
works with 2-3 parts. If an item that circulates as 1 unit comes back
missing a part, we don't put it back on the shelf - we book it to "missing
parts" and try to contact the patron. Overdues continue to mount on that
item - because we don't check it in. Sets like NOVA or National
Geographic really don't fall under this category, although we do display
all NOVAs and NGs on end panels for marketing purposes. So far we've not
had any complaints. Sorry for the long expose'. Jim Scholtz, YCL. Hope
this helps.