Re: Acquisition of Guernica and Caravaggio videos

Marilyn Huntley (mhuntley@hamilton.edu)
Mon, 08 Dec 1997 16:41:17 -0500

Daniel -

Do you know which "Guernica" movie you need? When I was looking for a film
with that title last August, I found more than one.

There's one by Alain Resnais, which is entirely in French, no subtitles.
It's 10 minutes long, has sound which includes someone reading a poem, and
was made in 1950. We rented it through Interama, who got it for us from
Paris. Contact Nicole Juve at 212-977-4830. (Don't believe anyone who
tells you this is available from Grove Press. They no longer have their films.)

Another called "Guernica" is by Robert and David Flaherty. It's 8 minutes
long, black and white, silent, and was made in 1949. It's available from
Museum of Modern Art at 212-708-9530.

Bowker's Educational Film and Video reference book lists "Guernica - Pablo
Picasso" originally from Pictura. It's 15 minutes, black and white, and
was listed by Oklahoma State and Portland State.

There was once another 1984 13-minute film called "Guernica Returns" but
Video Source Book says it's no longer distributed.

Video Source Book mentions "Guernica - Genesis of a Painting" produced by
Educational Broadcasting Corporation, and distributed by New York State
Education Department. It's 60 minutes and black and white.

During my search I asked my question on Videolib, and one reply told me
about a 25-minute video called "The Real Gernika." Contact Michael Dash at
carousel@pipeline.com for more information.

I don't know if any of these would be what you're looking for, but I hope
I've helped you avoid some of the time-wasting I encountered during my search!

Marilyn Huntley

At 11:16 AM 12/8/97 -0800, you wrote:
> I am interested in the titles Guernica and Caravaggio. Both are
>approximately 25-30 minutes long. Hopefully, they can be obtained in
>video format. I have been unable to find any information on the former
>title. The later was distributed by Academic and Entertainment Video in
>New York City at one time. I have been unable to contact them or locate
>a current address. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Audiovisual Classroom Services, 408 C. A. Johnson Hall
Hamilton College, Clinton, NY 13323
Phone 315-859-4120
Fax 315-859-4687
e-mail mhuntley@hamilton.edu