Re: Paul Robeson films on 16mm

Becky Carolus (rjc@psulias.psu.edu)
Fri, 05 Dec 1997 08:21:41 -0400

Penn State Audiovisual Services has a couple of these in our rental
collection. To schedule, call us at 800-826-0132. I've also listed a
number of others that are restricted to use in PA that are in our State
Library collection, but if they can't be found elsewhere, we may be able to
work out something with the State Library to allow these to be loaned
through a public library in New Jersey.

Title Paul Robeson: The Tallest Tree in Our Forest (90081)
Physical Color; sound
Copyrighted 1977
Length 85:00 min
Distributor Phoenix Learning Group (PHOENIX)
Audience SCA

Synopsis A biography of black Renaissance man Paul Robeson
(1898-1976) told in his own words and through interviews
with his son and professional colleagues. Documentary
footage, much of it from the Paul Robeson Archives,
chronicles his football career, legal practice, and success
as an entertainer, as well as his efforts to promote civil
rights and international cooperation. Excerpts from his
stage and film performances also are included. Written and
produced by Gil Noble.

Subjects Artists, Performing; Biography, Men; Black issues and people;
History & Politics(CHST); Arts and Communications(CART);
Africana Studies(CBLK)

Holdings 16mm, 1 copy, Rent $39.00

Title A Profile of Paul Robeson (60567)
Physical Color; sound
Copyrighted 1975
Length 60:00 min
Distributor PBS Video (PBS)
Audience SCA

Synopsis Documents the life and achievements of Paul Robeson
(1898-1976), actor, singer, athlete, attorney, and black
activist. Contains rare film interviews of Robeson
appearing in costume as Othello and discussing the meaning
of the role to a black man. Includes scenes from [if]Proud
Valley[rf] and [if]Song of Freedom.[rf] Produced by WETA,
Washington.

Subjects Artists, Performing; Biography, Men; Black issues and people;
Africana Studies(CBLK); Arts and Communications(CART)

Holdings VHS, 1 copy, Rent $21.50

Restricted to PA public library patrons:

Title Paul Robeson: Tribute to an Artist (F90399)
Physical Black and White/Monochrome; sound
Copyrighted 1980
Length 110:00 min
Distributor Voyager Company (*VOYAGE)
Audience YA

Synopsis This tribute to Paul Robeson and his many talents --
artist, athlete, actor, attorney, activist -- is set
against the social background of the times. Narrated by
Sidney Poitier. Directed and produced by Saul J. Turell.
Academy Award winner.

Subjects Actors and acting; Biography, Men; Black issues and people;
Civil rights

Holdings VHS, 1 copy, Rent $0.00

Title Paul Robeson: Tribute to an Artist (F31754)
Physical Black and White/Monochrome; sound
Copyrighted 1979
Length 29:00 min
Distributor Free Library of Philadelphia (*PFL)
Audience YA

Synopsis Powerful documentary of an African-American whose
achievements as an artist are matched by his great dignity
and militancy against racial discrimination. Although known
the world over for his films, concerts, and his
unforgettable portrayal in [if]Othello,[rf] Robeson was
blacklisted in America for his unflinching political stance
and became a McCarthy "victim" in the 1950s.

Subjects Biography, Men; Black issues and people; Civil rights; Racism

Holdings 16mm, 1 copy, Rent $0.00

Title African-American Film Heritage Video Series: The Song of Freedom
(F80092)
Physical Black and White/Monochrome; sound
Copyrighted 1936
Length 80:00 min
Distributor Facets Multimedia Inc (FACM)
Audience YA

Synopsis Showcases Paul Robeson in the role of a successful concert
singer in England who suddenly discovers he is the
descendant of a West African queen whose tribe is now in
need of a leader. This British-made film also stars
Elizabeth Welch, Robert Adams, Orlando Martins, Toto Ware,
and James Solomon. Directed by J. Elder Wills.

Subjects African-American history and culture; Motion pictures,
Miscellaneous features; Motion pictures, International

Holdings VHS, 1 copy, Rent $0.00

Title African-American Film Heritage Video Series: Body and Soul
(F80081)
Physical Black and White/Monochrome; sound
Copyrighted 1925
Length 75:00 min
Distributor Facets Multimedia Inc (FACM)
Audience YA

Synopsis The first selection in this twelve-part series of classic
African-American movies is a rare silent film directed and
produced by Oscar Micheaux, in which the legendary Paul
Robeson, in his first starring role, portrays both an evil
preacher and his good brother. Also stars Julia Theresa
Russell and Mercedes Gilbert. Subtitled, with music
soundtrack.

Subjects African-American history and culture; Motion pictures,
Miscellaneous features

Holdings VHS, 1 copy, Rent $0.00

Title Sanders of the River (F90597)
Physical Black and White/Monochrome; sound
Copyrighted 1935
Length 98:00 min
Distributor Free Library of Philadelphia (*PFL)
Audience YA

Synopsis Adventure about Colonel Sanders, a British river patrol
officer, who is in charge of the river district in Nigeria
when he gets involved with two warring tribes. Based on the
story by Edgar Wallace. Stars Paul Robeson, Leslie Banks,
Robert Cochran, Martin Walker, and Nina Mae McKinney.
Directed by Zoltan Korda. Alternate title: [if]Coast of
Skeletons.[rf]

Subjects Africa; Motion pictures, Action / adventure features

Holdings 16mm, 1 copy, Rent $0.00

Title King Solomon's Mines (F80034)
Physical Black and White/Monochrome; sound
Copyrighted 1937
Length 80:00 min
Distributor Voyager Company (*VOYAGE)
Audience YA

Synopsis A white hunter leads an expedition into uncharted Africa
seeking legendary treasure. Based on a novel by H. Rider
Haggard. Stars Sir Cedric Hardwicke and Paul Robeson.
Directed by Robert Stevenson.

Subjects Motion pictures, International

Holdings VHS, 1 copy, Rent $0.00

Title The Emperor Jones (F70031)
Physical Black and White/Monochrome; sound
Copyrighted 1933
Length 72:00 min
Distributor Voyager Company (*VOYAGE)
Audience YA

Synopsis Eugene O'Neill chose Paul Robeson to play the Pullman
porter who becomes the despotic emperor of a Caribbean
island in this powerful adaptation of the brilliant play.
Also stars Dudley Digges. Directed by Dudley Murphy.

Subjects Drama; Motion pictures, Miscellaneous features

Holdings VHS, 1 copy, Rent $0.00