Re: Paul Robeson films on 16mm

Marilyn Huntley (mhuntley@hamilton.edu)
Thu, 04 Dec 1997 15:14:47 -0500

I recently found "Body and Soul" available in 16mm from Museum of Modern
Art, at 212-708-9530. (But I know one of their prints isn't available on
2/3/97; I've rented it for showing here.)

Marilyn Huntley

At 04:32 PM 12/3/97 -0800, you wrote:
>A patron/local film scholar is trying to help some group (in New Jersey,
>I believe) put together a circulating program on Paul Robeson. Any ideas
>on rental sources. All I know at the moment is that Emperor Jones, Proud
>Valley, and Tales of Manhattan used to be available from Films, Inc., so
>they may be available from Kit Parker or Swank. Kino (Jessica, are you
>listening?) has Native Land (Robeson narrated) on video; does Kino have
>16mm?
>I have a feeling that most of the other titles are going to be impossible
>to get, but here's a list:
> Jericho (aka Dark Sands)
> Body and Soul (Oscar Micheaux)
> Show Boat (1936)
> Song of Freedom
> Borderline
> Sanders of the River
> King Solomon's Mines (wasn't this Janus?)
> Easy to Get (I can't find this in most listings of Robeson's
> films - there's a 1920 film by this title but I can't
> find Robeson's name attached to it)
>
>There is also the documentary Tallest Tree in Our Forest which was/is(?)
>distributed by Phoenix/BFA.
>
>And finally, does anyone know of a recent documentary on Robeson by a
>filmmaker in Stuttgart?
>
>Thanks for any leads.
>

>Marc Sober voice : (410)396-4616
>Audio-Visual Department FAX : (410)545-7517
>Enoch Pratt Free Library e-mail: msober@epfl2.epflbalto.org
>400 Cathedral St. msober@mail.pratt.lib.md.us
>Baltimore, MD 21201

Audiovisual Classroom Services, 408 C. A. Johnson Hall
Hamilton College, Clinton, NY 13323
Phone 315-859-4120
Fax 315-859-4687
e-mail mhuntley@hamilton.edu