Re: Giving name of requestor to distrib/producer?

Judy Jones (JONESJM@libraryserver.lib.csus.edu)
Thu, 13 Nov 1997 11:51:55 PST8PDT

The larger distribution companies such as Films for the Humanities
and Sciences target faculty on this campus as well as sending me
their catalogs. I don't know this for a fact, but I would guess they
develop their mailing lists in a variety of ways not the least of
which would be to subscribe to "College Catalogs" on CD-ROM or
microfiche which list faculty in every department along with the
school's address and phone no. Marketing strategies are varied and
many and do not need to rely on collection development
librarians/staff to provide faculty names.

Date: Thu, 13 Nov 1997 11:33:22 -0800
From: Rgoldfilm@aol.com
To: Multiple recipients of list <videolib@library.berkeley.edu>
Subject: Re: Giving name of requestor to distrib/producer?

Carolyn (or anyone else)--

If you don't do follow-up or telemarketing, how do you get the libraries and
purchasing departments to ROUTINELY provide you with faculty contacts, i.e.
the person who generates the order? This is an on-going problem for us at
New Day Films.

Rick Goldsmith

<<
Baxley Media Group does not do any follow-up phone calls or any other
form of telemarketing, so I can't speak to that aspect of the question.
But it is vital for us as distributors to know who actually generates
video orders within the university or agency purchasing the video if we
are to market to them successfully in the future. If libraries or
purchasing departments who place the orders actually stopped providing
us with the name of the faculty contacts who are using our programs, our
sales would definitely suffer and the various departments who are
interested in the titles we have to offer might never know they exist.

Carolyn Baxley