FYI - JMU Media Review (fwd)

Tue, 11 Nov 1997 15:13:39 -0800 (PST)

This sounds sorta interesting (if it works). Seems to me that one of the
problems with web publishing (particularly for those of use mired in
academia) is the emphemeral nature of digital publishing...If I write a
3000 word piece, I damn-well want it indexed somewhere and cited as much
as possible...at present, the web ain't all that conducive to such things.
The willingness of the academic machine (tenure review committees et al.)
to accept this kind of frequently transient evidence of scholarship
is also limited at present.

Still...things are changing. I'd be interested in hearing from anyone
who decides to jump on this particular online ship...

UC Berkeley, CA 94720-6000

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Mon, 10 Nov 1997 22:51:34 -0500 (EST)
From: PopcornQ@aol.com
Subject: FYI - JMU Media Review

JMU Media Review

JMU Media Review is a new online publication dedicated to scholarly
reviewing.

We believe that there is a need for a journal that
1. provides serious reviewing of the wide range of media products and
practices
2. enables academics to hone their skills on the contemporary
mediasphere
3. provides a space for practitioners to write informed criticism of
their own and others works, and enter debates with
scholars
4. encourages cross-disciplinary discussion about the media
5. promotes debate on the processes and functions of reviewing today
6. offers swift, clean and refereed publication of timely interventions
7. gives a welcome to first publications from graduate students and new
researchers
8. creates a site which, alongside existing theory sites, can
contribute to the development of an effective media criticism.

Current online reviewing is dominated by fan discourse and pure data. JMU
Media Review will fulfil the need for succinct
scholarly accounts of the broad range of media. JMU Media Review will
post reviews as soon as they have been refereed, and
will provide a space for responses and rewrites. There will also be an
area for the discussion of current reviewing practice and
principles. There will be no date-bound issues, and therefore there will
be no deadlines. Rather, we will seek to publish as
promptly as possible academic responses to historical and recent media
production.

JMU Media Review will concentrate on current media, but we will also
welcome reviews of media which are recently
republished, newsworthy, the subject of new research, cited in current
debates and curricula, or which the reviewer believes to
have current relevance despite critical neglect.

JMU Media Review welcomes reviews of specific aspects of a particular
product, for example typographic analysis of a
magazine, or a review of sound design in a specific movie. We will
encourage cross-disciplinary discussions, for example
journalistic, photographic and design approaches to newspaper coverage.
The journal will be organised by medium or topic,
and the latest additions will be flagged.

JMU Media Review intends to be an active site for new scholarship, and to
provide a database of top-level reviews which
students and academics will find exciting and relevant. Our hope is that
the reviews will combine rigour with accessibility, and
encourage criticism rather than polemic.

The editors will be pursuing the possibility of hardcopy publication of
selections from JMU Media Review at a future date.

JMU Media Review seeks submissions in the following areas:

newspapers
consumer magazines
news coverage
popular publishing (fiction and non-fiction) trade press
journals
comic strips and comics
advertising campaigns
TV programmes
films
records and talking books
multimedia
websites
software
equipment and techniques
media arts
radio programmes and stations
media policy documents
media law cases
media scholarship
media archives and libraries
critical discussion of reviewing practice

Reviews will be refereed.

STYLE

Submissions should be between 2,000 and 3,000 words in length, and should
be sent by e-mail or on disc, preferably marked
up in html, to the respective editors. Images should be
copyright-cleared, and sent in gif or jpeg format as separate messages,
or on disc. Mac formats preferred.

References should be kept to a minimum, and given in Harvard: e.g.
(Kittler 1990: 339) in the text, and the publication details
given at the end in unnumbered list format as

Kittler, Friedrich A (1990), Discourse Networks 1800/1900, trans
Michael Metteer with Chris Cullens, Stanford
University Press, Stanford CA.

Reviews of print media should give details of publisher, date and
ISBN/ISSN if available; audiovisual media reviews should
specify director/producer, date, country of origin and production
company, plus distribution details for hard-to-find
productions, transmission dates for TV programmes and date of browsing
for online materials. Authors should provide
hotlinks to distributors and publishers sites where available, and to
other related sites where they contain important data, such
as full credit lists.

Authors should identify themselves and their institutional affiliations
in the last line of the review, and include their e-mail
addresses and homepage URLs where relevant. All reviews should include
the date of submission and/or revision.

Editors:

Sean Cubitt head of Screen Studies, JMU:
audio, audiovisual, digital
Dick Rooney,head of Journalism, JMU:
print, policy, law

Editorial Administrator: James Nicholls

Editorial Advisory Board

The Editorial Advisory Board is currently in formation. New members will
be posted on this site.

Chris Byford, Concordia University, Montreal
Dimitris Eleftheriotis, University of Glasgow, Scotland
Peter Fowler, Liverpool John Moores University, England
Julia Hallam, University of Liverpool, England
Roberta Pearson, University of Cardiff, Wales

JMU Media Review

is a project of
Screen Studies
and
Journalism
in the
School of Media, Critical and Creative Arts
of
Liverpool John Moores University

Jenni Olson
Producer, PopcornQ

PopcornQ: The Ultimate Online Home for the Queer Moving Image is
available now at http://www.popcornq.com or at AOL Keyword: PopcornQ.

Throughout the month of November the PopcornQ Online Cinema is proud to
host the FIRST ONLINE QUEER DIGITAL FILM FESTIVAL (co-presented with MIX:
NEW YORK EXPERIMENTAL LESBIAN & GAY FILM/VIDEO FESTIVAL). Stop by and
take a look at all the talents and treats we have in store for you at
PopcornQ (www.popcornq.com).

PopcornQ is proud to present the first global online lesbian and gay
movie channel, the PQ ONLINE CINEMA. You've got a queer film festival in
your living room with our lesbian and gay shorts (including films by
RICHARD KWIETNIOWSKI, LOURDES PORTILLO, and DAVID WEISSMAN), plus audio
clips, archival movie shorts, and tons of classic queer trailers from
films like PARIS IS BURNING, GO FISH, THE BOYS IN THE BAND, and 99 WOMEN
WITHOUT MEN! All available in RealVideo and streaming QuickTime formats.

PlanetOut - 965 Mission St. #730 - San Francisco CA 94103
VOX 415/547-2800 x309 * FAX 415/547-2801
http://www.planetout.com