Re: Film search "Marquise of O"

milos (milos@interaccess.com)
Tue, 14 Oct 1997 07:23:37 -0700

Marilyn Huntley wrote:

> Does anyone know of a current source for renting or buying a video or 16mm
> film of Eric Rohmer's 1976 German movie "Die Marquise von O" (in the French
> and English translations it's called "La Marquise d'O" or "The Marquise of
> O")? It used to be distributed by New Line Cinema, but they no longer have
> the rights, and it's not in any of my usual references.
>
> Any clues you can give me will be greatly appreciated.
>
> Marilyn Huntley
> Marilyn B. Huntley, Audiovisual Assistant
> Audiovisual Classroom Services, 408 C. A. Johnson Hall
> Hamilton College, Clinton, NY 13323
> Phone 315-859-4120
> Fax 315-859-4687
> e-mail mhuntley@hamilton.edu

Marilyn -
sorry for the very tardy response to your search. Eric Rohmer's
Marquist of O, which was once distributed in the US theatrically and
non-theatrically by New Line Cinema, has never been released on video
(neither has "Perceval") and things look very dim as to whether it might
ever be; it's apparently caught up in a very tangled legal mess as to
rights. It's too bad; it's a very interesting film.

Milos Stehlik
Facets Video