Re: Audio Tape

Dan Donnelly (d-donn@maroon.tc.umn.edu)
Tue, 30 Sep 1997 10:34:54 -0500

Rick,

You may have a case of sticky shed syndrome. The temporary cure is baking the tape in a low temperature oven for about three hours. Try something like three hours at 130 F to 140 F, the lower the better. The biggest problem is finding an oven that lets you control temp below 150 F.

I've done this with video tape and it's worked. The tape will be usable for a day or two after baking.

Good luck.

At 02:55 PM 9/29/97 -0700, you wrote:
>I realize this is Videolib, not Audiolib, but here goes.
>
>We are digitizing a bunch of William Faulkner audio that was recorded in
>1957-58. The tapes are in, as you can guess, pretty sad shape. Some of
>them are sticky. Is there a good way to arrest this temporarily? We just
>need one good play to record and then we are done with them.
>Refridgeration? Heat? Cat litter? Help!!!

>Rick E. Provine, Media Librarian and
>Coordinator for the Library Electronic Centers
>Clemons Library||University of Virginia
>VOICE 804.924.8814
>FAX 804.924.7468
>provine@virginia.edu