Re: barcodes/videos

John Potter-Smith (johnps@Kwantlen.BC.CA)
Tue, 30 Sep 1997 07:48:52 -0700 (PDT)

Lisabeth;

We currently place the barcodes on the videocassette itself. Our
reasoning, is that we have to open the video case anyways to make sure it
is the correct video inside. In a self-checkout situation, patrons most
likely would not check that it is the correct video inside. Therefore the
need to open the case is not as relevant in a self-checkout system.

John

On Tue, 30 Sep 1997, Lisbeth S. Goldberg wrote:
> Subject: barcodes/videos
>
> We are currently reassessing "where to place barcodes"--on the box or on
> the video itself for circulation. Here are some issues. We have a 3M
> system and are considering self-checkout. There is interest in being
> consistent with the placement of barcodes on books, for ease of processing
> purposes. Currently, the barcode is placed on the title label of the
> video itself. Anyone have any experience with or comments on any of
> the above?
>
> Lisbeth S. Goldberg lisbeth@CapAccess.org
> Audiovisual Librarian at Arlington County Library, VA
> (703)358-6339

* John Potter-Smith Telephone: (604) 599-2216 *
* Audiovisual Library Assistant Voice Mail: (604) 599-2222 Local 9898 *
* Facsimile: (604) 599-2106 *
* *
* E-mail: johnps@kwantlen.bc.ca MEC Requests: avmedias@kwantlen.bc.ca *
* Kwantlen University College Library *
* 12666 - 72nd Ave., Surrey, B.C., Canada, V3W 2M8 *