Re: barcodes/videos

John Potter-Smith (johnps@Kwantlen.BC.CA)
Tue, 30 Sep 1997 07:48:52 -0700 (PDT)

We currently place the barcodes on the videocassette itself. Our
reasoning, is that we have to open the video case anyways to make sure it
is the correct video inside. In a self-checkout situation, patrons most
likely would not check that it is the correct video inside. Therefore the
need to open the case is not as relevant in a self-checkout system.

On Tue, 30 Sep 1997, Lisbeth S. Goldberg wrote:
> Subject: barcodes/videos
> We are currently reassessing "where to place barcodes"--on the box or on
> the video itself for circulation. Here are some issues. We have a 3M
> system and are considering self-checkout. There is interest in being
> consistent with the placement of barcodes on books, for ease of processing
> purposes. Currently, the barcode is placed on the title label of the
> video itself. Anyone have any experience with or comments on any of
> the above?
> Lisbeth S. Goldberg
> Audiovisual Librarian at Arlington County Library, VA
> (703)358-6339

* John Potter-Smith Telephone: (604) 599-2216 *
* Audiovisual Library Assistant Voice Mail: (604) 599-2222 Local 9898 *
* Facsimile: (604) 599-2106 *
* *
* E-mail: MEC Requests: *
* Kwantlen University College Library *
* 12666 - 72nd Ave., Surrey, B.C., Canada, V3W 2M8 *