Re: Compact Shelving

Cathleen Cummings, Media Coordinator - SRJC (ccumming@floyd.santarosa.edu)
Tue, 23 Sep 1997 08:46:54 -0700

At 04:16 PM 9/22/97 -0700, Gary wrote:
>We're getting ready to shop around for video compact shelving. Anyone
>got any experiences, favorites, horror stories they want to share. We're
>looking for something that's gonna have maximum density, ease of access, and
>durability...what else is new?
>
>Any sage advice would be greatly appreciated.

A few years back (9 or so) when we made the big push to convert our
collection to VHS we ordered a cool cabinet from a mail order distributor.
It was in 2 parts, the bottom half had 6 wide drawers that pull out like
dresser drawers, each drawer with dividers to keep the tapes in order. The
top half sat on top and had 4 drawers that pull out with shelves on both
sides for a height of about 6 1/2 - 7 ft. tall. Everything was fine until
we had a teacher come browse, leaving each top drawer open as he looked
through.....when he left open the 4th top drawer....it all came tumbling
down...the top half was not fastened to the bottom half. The teacher never
returned to Media Services.
Anyway we learned from that (thank heavens) and now have our
cabinets built for us by a local cabinet maker using the same basic format,
and being in earthquake country like you, the cabinets are joined top to
bottom and cabinet to cabinet. The cabinets are very functional and
pleasant looking. Each drawer holds close to 100 VHS tapes. I'm sure we
could get you in touch with Rick if you are interested, or how about a field
trip up here to God's country?

Cathleen Cummings
Media Coordinator, Santa Rosa Junior College
1501 Mendocino Avenue
Santa Rosa, CA- USA 95401
ccumming@floyd.santarosa.edu