Re: Challenged videos

Jean McCarron (jean@nvdpl.north-van.bc.ca)
Mon, 22 Sep 1997 14:50:40 -0700

On Mon, 22 Sep 1997, Shaw, Susan Libr wrote:

> The only fuss we've had so far was over a video ordered by a faculty member,
> called _Paraguas para Tres_ (Umbrella for Three). The box had a pretty
> provocative picture, which caused it to be questioned before it even got
> through cataloging. We have kept it, although it will be in a "plain brown
> wrapper."
>
> Susan Shaw
> SDSU

Not that I would criticize your solution - I sympathise that you have to
go to such lengths - but it reminds me of all the videos I find in the
"movie" catalogues which I can buy in "tame sleeves" or "erotic sleeves".
And the ones which really make my hair stand on end -- the "NC-17" or "R"
OR the "PG version" of the same film .... which indicates that someone
(who?) has chopped up the film prior to sales. Maybe this example of
censorship should be taken up in your article too, Randy?

Jean A. McCarron
Audiovisual Coordinator
North Vancouver District Public Library
jean.mccarron@nvdpl.north-van.bc.ca
TEL. DIR LINE: (604)990-5817
TEL. LIBRARY: (604)990-5800 FAX: (604)984-7600
NVDPL on the web:http://www.nvdpl.north-van.bc.ca