Re: Banned Videos/Censorship challenges

Becky Albitz (
Sun, 21 Sep 1997 17:14:40 -0400

A title that hasn't appeared on anyone's list yet, but caused a great deal
of controversy for the University of Iowa's media center during my tenure
is the ever-famous "Taxi zum Klo," a title that actually forced changes in
the university's teaching policies. Despite threatened legal challenges,
it remains on the shelf four years after the challenge (although a bit
worse for the wear, from what I understand!)

At 01:26 PM 9/21/97 -0700, you wrote:
>> Date sent: Fri, 19 Sep 1997 20:19:54 -0700
>> Send reply to:
>> To: Multiple recipients of list <>
>> Subject: Re: Banned Videos/Censorship challenges
>> Thanks to all of you who responded to my request for video censorship
>> attempts and related websites (surprisingly, very little). I've
>> decided to go with a list based on the criteria that 1) the film was
>> controversial, and 2) I liked it. I realize these are pretty
>> stringent, objective criteria, and I'd be happy to hear any
>> suggestions from others (I might have missed
>> just not liked it). Anyway, pre-publication, here's my list so far.
>> If you're looking for problems with patrons, I suspect you can raise
>> something of a ruckus with the following:
>> Akira
>> Betty Blue
>> Boys of St. Vincent
>> The Cook, the Thief, His Wife, and Her Lover
>> Crumb
>> Damned in the U.S.A.
>> Devil in the Flesh (1987)
>> Forbidden Love