Re: Framed Art collections?

McManus (smcmanu@suffolk.lib.ny.us)
Fri, 29 Aug 1997 09:48:06 -0400 (EDT)

Until about five years ago we had circulating framed art collections at
all our branches. But, like yours ours was old and not being regularly
replenished nor properly maintained. The collection dwindled to the point
that there sere just a few patrons whowere using the collection.
Over a dozen years ago, when I used the Berkely Public Library, they had a
framed art collection that all my friends seemed to use to decorate their
apartments, there was a large selection and it was in good condition.
I think that is the key, if your director is willing to spend money on the
collection both in your time and on keeping the collection varied and well
maintained then its worth keeping, but if it is just going to continue to
degenerate and is of little interest to very few patrons, don't keep it.
Sue McManus
AV Coordinator
Tech Services Head
The Smithtown Library