Re: CD-ROM

Jim Scholtz (jscholtz@sdln.net)
Tue, 12 Aug 1997 11:49:00 -0600 (MDT)

Hi Tom,
We have the Knogo magnetic system installed at our library (Yankton, SD).
It is analogous to 3M tattle/whispertape (3M bought out Knogo last year).
We have not had any problems with CDs (music or otherwise) going through
the security gates or being desensitized/sensitized. The CD has physical
indentations and does not use a magnetic recording playback system at
all, so it would not be affected by electromagnetic desensitization.
The checkpoint system uses foil reflecting radio waves and would not
affect the playback of a CD. However, the foil embedded in the plastic
of CDs can make the security gates go off if the angle of deflection is
just right.
Jim Scholtz, Yankton Community Library, Yankton, SD.