RE: Bookdrop return of videos

HIRSCH Bonnie C (Bonnie.C.HIRSCH@ci.eugene.or.us)
Tue, 12 Aug 1997 08:28:00 -0700

We ask our patrons to not use the book drop for AV, but they do it
anyway, of course. One problem is that when a heavy book drops in on top
of a plastic AV case, there may be damage to the case. Our drop goes
into a box inside the library, so we don't have the heat problem. I
know, though, that talking books left in hot cars come back warped
sometimes. Before you give people the Okay to leave AV in your outside
drops, you might experiment with a discarded talking book and video by
leaving them in the book drop on a hot day and seeing how long they last
before warping.

Bonnie Hirsch
Eugene (Oregon) Public Library
bonnie.c.hirsch@ci.eugene.or.us
----------
| From: White, Kathy
| To: Multiple recipients of list
| Subject: Bookdrop return of videos
| Date: Monday, August 11, 1997 9:58PM
|
| Greetings! O wise videofolk:
|
| I'd like your help with a puzzling issue: Are videos
harmed
| when returned into a bookdrop?
|
| We're trying to decide how best to serve the convenience of our
public
| library customers vs the risk of damage to the AV material. Some of
our
| branch libraries have free-standing bookdrop bins, so the bin contents
get
| hot in the (75-90 degree) summer and freeze in the (zero and below)
winter.
| Some have slots that drop the items (books, magazines, audio- and
| videotapes) directly into a box within the library.
|
| What is your experience with videos being returned to a drop?
Or,