Re: CD-ROM Software and Hardware Compatibility

Jim Scholtz (jscholtz@sdln.net)
Tue, 29 Jul 1997 13:19:40 -0600 (MDT)

Say Judy, I have a question. Are you able to access your drive (i.e. do
a DIR from the DOS prompt like dir D: and/or from your Windows 3.1x or
Windows 95 Program Manager/Windows Explorer. Do you see all the drivers
load - the sound card, the CD-Driver etc.? I assume that all these
devices, including your 16x CD are plug n' play? Try to access your CD
via Program Manager or Windows Explorer; if that doesn't work (if you have
Windows 95), try going into Restart in DOS Mode and see if you can access
your CD. If you can't access it, you may end up puttin autoexec.bat
and config.sys files into your root directory to load the drivers so your
CD will work. If your CD already works, meaning that you can access files
from the CD, but the programs just don't seem to run, then you've got a
different problem. Some of the software might only be compatible for
Windows 3.1x and not work on Windows 95 (and vice-versa), but I have not
heard of a speed/access problem where a program would work on a slower 4x
and not on a faster 16-20x drive. Hope my suggestions might help you.