RE: Still seeking "For Whom the Bell Tolls"

Shaw, Susan Libr (ShawS@mg.sdstate.edu)
Mon, 21 Jul 1997 14:27 -0600

>From an absolute neophyte, these tidbits: Bowker's 1996 video directory
lists the recently made video and laserdisc versions and their manufacturer
(?) as Video Rights Corporation. The address and phone listed for Video
Rights Corp. is: P.O. Box 88127, Honolulu, HI 96830-8127; tel.
808-922-6753; fax 808-923-4607.

Susan Shaw
SDSU
----------
From: Marilyn B. Huntley
To: ShawS; Multiple recipients of list
Subject: Still seeking "For Whom the Bell Tolls"
Date: Monday, July 21, 1997 11:19AM

Sorry about repeating this question and cross-posting it besides, but I'm
getting desperate for information (ANY information) about the movie "For
Whom the Bell Tolls." I wouldn't have such a problem if I wanted it only
for classroom use (the video is listed in catalogs), but I've been asked to
rent it for an advertised showing on campus. I didn't have a single reply
to my posting on 2 lists, so now I'm really grasping at straws. Could
anyone answer even one of these questions?

1. Since the film was made by Paramount Pictures in 1943, would there be
any point in my calling Paramount to ask if they know something about its
current distribution status? And if so, how do I contact them?

2. Perhaps this film has been withdrawn from distribution? If anyone
knows this for a fact, it would at least provide me an end to my searching.

3. Is there any chance that a '43 Paramount film could be in the public
domain? I've forgotten just what it takes for a film to fall into that
status, so this idea may be the most ridiculous one of all.

Thanks in advance for even the tiniest crumb of information!

Marilyn Huntley

Marilyn Huntley
Audiovisual Classroom Services
408 Christian A. Johnson Hall