(Fwd) ALAWON v6, n45 - FAIR USE JOINT STATEMENT RELEASED

Ralph Huntzinger (ralphunt@kcls.org)
Mon, 9 Jun 1997 14:58:28 +0000

You-all
VRT was interested in the CONFU progress (or retreat) regarding
new technologies; I noticed this from ALA on the topic, which may be
of interest.
Ralph Huntzinger

Date: Fri, 06 Jun 1997 17:02:47 -0400
From: ALAWASH E-MAIL (ALAWASH E-MAIL) <ALAWASH@ALAWASH.ORG>
To: ALA Washington Office Newsline <ala-wo@ala1.ala.org>
Subject: ALAWON v6, n45 - FAIR USE JOINT STATEMENT RELEASED

ALAWON Volume 6, Number 45
ISSN 1069-7799 June 6, 1997

American Library Association Washington Office Newsline

In this issue: (108 lines)

CONFERENCE ON FAIR USE JOINT STATEMENT RELEASED

CONFERENCE ON FAIR USE JOINT STATEMENT RELEASED

As part of ALA's multi-faceted and ongoing efforts to preserve
and promote balanced intellectual property policy, particularly
the vitality of the Fair Use Doctrine in copyright law, the
Association has actively participated in the "Conference on Fair
Use," or "CONFU." After more than two years of productive
discussions, these unofficial discussions and guideline
negotiations ended recently without producing consensus as to the
appropriate scope of fair use for librarians and educators in the
digital environment.

As technology and society's use of it continues to evolve, the
need in the library, scholarly and educational communities for an
appreciation of both information proprietors' rights and user
privileges like fair use is expected to intensify. Recognizing
its responsibility to meet this need, and to help assure that
fair use and other privileges remain vital in the information
age, ALA has joined 13 other major national library, scholarly
and educational associations in supporting a joint statement
regarding the CONFU process. Significantly, the statement not
only looks back at CONFU, but ahead in outlining a set of
precepts and goals that will guide ALA's future efforts in this
important and controversial policy arena. Specifically,
signatories committed themselves as follows:

*We will share experiences concerning: the application of new
technology in library and educational environments, "fair
uses" made of copyrighted works, proprietors' responses to
requests for permission to use copyrighted materials, and
sources of helpful information regarding fair use and other
privileges under copyright law;

*We will participate in organized efforts to capture and
disseminate such information;

*We will assist in the development of "User Community
Principles" and educator- and librarian-generated "Best
Practices" concerning fair use, distance learning, and other
activities supported by current copyright law;

*We will work to extend the application of fair use into
digital networked environments in libraries and educational
institutions by relying on it responsibly to lawfully make
creative use of information;

*We will resist relying on any proposed code of conduct which
may substantially or artificially constrain the full and
appropriate application of fair use; and

* We will encourage our members to reject any licensing
agreement clause that implicitly or explicitly limits or
abrogates fair use or any other legally conveyed user
privilege.

Endorsing organizations

American Association of Law Libraries
American Association of State Colleges and Universities
American Council on Education
American Council of Learned Societies
American Library Association
Association of American Universities
Association of Research Libraries
Medical Library Association
National Association of State Universities & Land-Grant Colleges
National Education Association
National Humanities Alliance
National Initiative for a Networked Cultural Heritage
National School Boards Association
Special Libraries Association

Visit http://www.ala.org/washoff/confu.html for the full text of
the joint statement and information about fair use and other
intellectual property issues central to libraries and
librarianship.
subscribe ala-wo [your_firstname] [your_lastname] to listproc
@ala.org. ALAWON archives at http://www.ala.org/washoff/alawon.
Visit our Web site at http://www.alawash.org.

ALA Washington Office 202.628.8410 (V)
1301 Pennsylvania Ave., NW, #403 202.628.8419 (F)
Washington, DC 20004-1701 800.941.8478 (V)

Lynne E. Bradley, Editor <leb@alawash.org>
Deirdre Herman, Managing Editor <alawash@alawash.org>

Contributors: Adam Eisgrau

All materials subject to copyright by the American Library
Association may be reprinted or redistributed for noncommercial
purposes with appropriate credits.